It consists on the study of computational implementations of linguistics structures. It is also an interdisciplinary field dealing with the statistical modelling of natural language from a computational perspective. Traditionally this kind of linguistic was performed by computer scientists specialized in the application of computers to the processing of a natural language. People working on computational linguistics often work as members of interdisciplinary teams.
Talking about its origins we can say that computational linguistics originated in the United States of America in the 1950s to with the aim of using computers to automatically translate texts from foreign languages.
This kind of linguistics can be divided into major areas depending on the medium of the language being processed, also if it spoken or textual and also depends on the task being performed.
- Some researching areas of computational linguistics are:Design of parsers for natural language.
- Machine translation as one of the earliest and least successful applications of this kind of linguistics draws on many subfields.
- Computer-aided corpus linguistics…
- Linguistics, Wikipedia The Free Encyclopaedia. Retrieved: 30 September 2009, 19:00. From: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Linguistics&oldid=314131655
- Computational Linguistics, Wikipedia The Free Encyclopaedia. Retrieved: 30 September 2009, 19:12. From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_linguistics